Sunday 3 January 2010

Got bug, back in hospital

I guess it started on New Year's Eve when Lauren started with a virus. We were immediately worried about cross infection and phoned Nijmegen, but they told us that there was not much to be done except to minimized contact between Lauren & Kay. So Lauren, poor thing, has spent quite a lot of time in her bed.

Yesterday I started with more or less the same thing and became certain that we had to expect that Kay would get it too. And, surprise, surprise, this morning she developed a temperature of 39C. So we called Catherina and were told to "come on down". On arrival she (just) had typical 'flu symptoms, fever and headache. However her blood levels were terrible, Hg = 4.4 (should be above 6), Platelets = 9 (should be above 15) and white cells (neutrocytes) = 0.0018. The latter figure is extremely low, normal range is 3 - 7. So Kay was immediately admitted for blood, platelets and a double course of antibiotics. And we have been here ever since. Fortunately my bag is always ready to go these days and so I'm doing the first night. But I'm not feeling so brilliant either, so I dont expect to be worth much tomorrow.

The lights have just gone out for the night and I now cant see the keyboard very well and my touch typing is not so good. So thats it for now!


1 comment:

  1. Philippa Hopcroft4 January 2010 at 12:12

    Dear Kay and Rob,

    What a nightmare for you all! I hope you all start to feel better very soon so that you can head on home again quickly.

    With love, Philippa x

    ReplyDelete