Friday 25 June 2010

T+63: Most Difficult Days Yet

Kay's blood counts had dropped further this morning. Her white cell count was down to 0.5 which puts her back into the state where she is defined has having essentially no bacterial defence. It was expected that her counts would drop further, the new medication takes 5-7 days to have an effect. But Marion and I were both affected by the reality and have in each in our different ways found it difficult to get through the day. But as I was saying to a colleague earlier, I would much rather know what it is that I have to fear than simply live in constant fear of the unknown.

I slept at home last night and have been at the office today. When I arrived back this evening I saw that Kay has gone downhill from yesterday. She has been feeling sick for most of the last 24 hours, she has become lethargic and has slept for the greater part of the day. She has developed a mild temperature, 38.1C at the last count, and she is not a happy bunny. We're given to believe that these are effects of the new medication and I sincerely hope that that is the explaination. On the positive side she is has been off oxygen since last night. Perhaps we have seen the last of the para-flu virus. I wish that that was also true for the CMV virus.

Thanks indeed to everyone who has posted comments or sent us emails. They are indeed gratefully received. I've said it before, but to find a comment or an email from someone in my mailbox is special and each message I forward to Marion and share with Kay.

1 comment:

  1. Hallo Kay, Rob en Marion,

    Het blijft zoals iemand anders ook al schrijft inderdaad een rollercoaster waar jullie inzitten en die maar doorraast. Op dit moment raast hij weer naar beneden maar met een fighter zoals Kay is en de steun van een geweldig stel ouders kan ik alleen maar hopen dat ‘hij’ ook weer omhoog gaat en dat Kay er echt bovenop gaat komen. Allemaal veel sterkte in deze heel moeilijke tijd.

    Gert-Jan en Bernadette Kosterman.

    ReplyDelete