Thursday 6 May 2010

T+12: Sleep, Sleep and more Sleep

Kay is extremely tired and slept the greater part of the day today. She's complaining that her legs feel weak, which is not surprising. She finally climbed out of bed around 5pm for a shower and when she'd finished I challenged her to a round of balloon badminton to give her a bit of exercise. After 10 mins of this, she climbed back into bed. In herself, Kay seems fine. Not too much "cabin fever" yet. I keep thinking that all this sleep is a symptom of how hard her body is now working, rebuilding it's entire hemo-ecosystem, the stem cells dividing to produce the precursors of each of the leucocyte, granulocyte and red blood cell lines, etc, etc. A fascinating thought.

Marion has been very depressed all day. The sad events next door have badly affected her in combination with home/normal life sickness. The disadvantage of building social contacts with other parents in the department. Although it was my day off, I felt too tired to go cycling. I feel right on the edge of getting ill and although I know that going cycling makes me feel better, I don't want to push my system so hard that I get sick. So I offered to swap places with Marion and give her the chance to get some sun and air. I have no problem with sittting with Kay, I can burn the time messing around with my laptop and reading, etc. I seem to have an endless supply of minor things that I've been meaning to look into for a long time.

I bought a (fantastic) new laptop some weeks ago. But somewhere in the last days something got screwed up on it. Adobe PDFmaker wouldn't work and various other smalls things weren't right. I tried to sort out the problem but it just seemed to get worse such that the power management stopped working. SO yesterday I bought an external HD, backup the laptop threee different ways and then returned it back to it's factory configuration. So now I have to repeat the job of configuring it from scratch. In normal life this would be a massive pain in the ass, but here it's just another way of mindlessly burning time.

Anyway, Kay & I ended the day "House"ing again. Only one episode this time since it was quite late when we finally started. Afterwards I tucked Kay up in bed and she was asleep in no time.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Robert,

    Reading your blog it touches me when I think of how hard Kay has to fight to get better.
    I will light a candle for Kay. I wish Kay, you and your family all the best.

    Kind regards,
    José de Bruijn

    ReplyDelete