Monday 10 May 2010

T=17: Blood Counts Rising

The great news today is that Kay's blood counts have continued to rise. The white cell count had arisen to 0.4 today:

What is even more interesting is that it seems that her platelet count is starting to recover as well. Without a transfusion it has risen to 45.

Her red cell count is hovering around 4.9, which is very low. But at the moment the medics don't plan to do anything about it unless Kay starts suffering from extreme tiredness.

Marion tells me that she spoke to our lead doctor this morning and he said that if things continue like this Kay will probably be allowed to go home early next week. That's an idea that is far too attractive to even think about right now, although Marion is going to start the process of preparing the house for Kay's return this week.

After another bad night I decided that I had to get my ass into gear and do some exercise. So I set out to do a quiet 50km ride along the river towards Germany and back. When I got to the half way point - a ferry crossing - I thought that I'd continue on for a little way to the next crossing point. However that turned out to be another 20km up river, so my ride ended up at just over 80km. I'm sat here at the moment feeling refreshed and tired in a heathy-ish sort of way instead of the stressed/bored/cabin fever tiredness of the last days. Hopefully I'll sleep better tonight, but that's far from certain since it's my turn to sleep on the bed of nails.

Oh, to be at home.

3 comments:

  1. Excellent news, there is no place like home!
    Mum and Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wat een geweldig goed nieuws!
    Zie je, stap voor stap de ladder op, in de goede richting!
    Eindelijk ook dat lichtpuntje weer eens naar huis te kunnen. Alleen het vooruitzicht moet al enorm veel goed doen. Eigen huis, tuin, eten en vooral eigen BED! Lekker met zijn allen weer in een "normale" omgeving en "normale" omstandigheden. Oh, ik verheug me al met jullie. Toch nog maar even de vingertjes gekruist houden tot het zover is.
    Kay, we hebben samen met je gedanst afgelopen zaterdag avond. Julie en Lars (heb je ontmoet op het vliegveld bij het vuurwerk) Noud en ik. Op Jan Smit en Madonna. Was erg leuk!
    Liefs, Viviane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Viviane, told Kay about you all dancing and she was all smiles! Great! But today she not got the energy to join in, has been sleeping most of the day.

    ReplyDelete