Sunday 25 April 2010

T+2: Tired Girl

Kay is pretty tired most of the time and is sleeping a lot. A good thing under the circumstances. She feel sleep around 11am and woke up when I arrived at 2.30pm. Since then she has been doing this and that, we managed to get in four episode of "House" this evening by way of passing the time. Kay is very keen on House so I have bought series 1-5 on DVD and we're working our way through it from the beginning.

Yesterday her platelet count was extremely low, 14 when it should be in the hundreds. So she was given a transfusion which should provide cover for a few days. Because of the transplant transfusion her red cell count was 7.4, which is nice and high, so no worries there. But we can expect that she will need both platelet and red cell transfusions regularly in the coming weeks.

In herself Kay is in pretty good spirits. She finds being tired all the time somewhat annoying but we keep pointing out to her that her body needs a lot of rest to receover from what it has been through in recent weeks & months. The last days she has not eaten very much and so has been on an NG feed. Today she managed to eat some chips in the afternoon and some spagetti in the evening. She wanted to come off the NG feed so that her hunger would return and she could try to eat normally. But the staff think that she can better do that gradually over a couple of days. They don't want her to lose any more weight.

Laura, our nurse this evening, just came in, looked over my shoulder and commented that I can write an awful lot about essentially nothing. So I should take that as a hint to shut up.  

5 comments:

  1. Dear me Rob! Please continue to write - even if it's 'about nothing'!! I guess it’s therapeutic for you, or you wouldn’t write, but it means that the rest of us get to share a little of the experience and offer silent support, without bombarding you with questions. Your blog is a fantastic communication - especially when 'things are quiet' for you - meaning you get some quiet family time, rather than intrusive ‘just wondered how you're doing' questions. I have a feeling that many of the 'Kay's blog community' are hanging on your every word and doing exactly the same as me – we know ‘how you’re doing’ before we get in touch.
    With you all in spirit, thinking of you all, all the time. Linda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please don't pay attention to Laura. Your reading public wants you to do exactly the opposite: that is we are avid absorbers of the details.

    I like the detail that you have BOUGHT seasons 1-5 of House. I buy DVD's as well. But I think we are in a shrinking group of people who actually pay for their films, music and software. Mind you films we generally rent: I can't see the point in owning them and I am happy to pay €2.50 and give the rental shop the job of storing the DVD for me. TV series and especially kids stuff gets rewatched.

    In the professional environment (I am in an office full of small companies and mini-startups) people find me odd that I would buy software.

    And while we are on the subject of House... HOUSE? I can imagine that that is somewhat odd watching episodes of a medical programme with all its twists and turns together with Kay. I imagine there must be quite a few uncomfortable moments.

    Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I disagree with Laura. Please keep writing! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I THINK THAT WRINTING S A GOOD WAY OF EXTERIORISE EMOTION AND IS GOOD FOR ALL OF US TO READ ABOUT IT IT MAKES ME FELL NEAR YOU

    ALEX FROM LE BEAUSSET

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even before I read everyone else's comments I was going to write something similar. I check most days for news and today's blog I found very comforting. Rather than wondering how things are going, you give us a glimpse. Thankyou.

    ReplyDelete