Monday 2 November 2009

(Yet) Another Tough Day

The events of the last 24 hours have been so unpredictable and contrary that I can't begin to describe them here. I'll try just to list the highlights:

  1. Yesterday lunchtime Kay was on antibotics in the Catherina. At that time it was not clear whether she would get the planned Chemo & Bone Marrow today.
  2. During the afternoon it was decided that the bone marrow could not be missed so Kay would be moved by Ambulance to Nijmegen for this, at least. However, the idea would be to send her back to Eindhoven afterwards. Whether she would be able to have thechemo as well as the bone marrow and the antibiotics was still not clear.
  3. We agreed that I would spend the night in Eindhoven and Marion would arrive at 8am to travel with Kay to Nijmegen. Since it was not clear whether they would come back to Eindhoven, we had to empty Kay's room. So Marion would store all their stuff in her car.
  4. Today I had to leave the hospital, take Lauren to Dusseldorf for her flight back the UK and then I had to be at the office for an important meeting.
  5. Marion arrived at Catherina to find that the transport to Njimegen had been delayed. Note that we saw each other yesterday for 15 mins and haven't seen each other at all today.
  6. Once at Njimegen it's decided that Kay will have the bone marrow taken under general anasthetic, followed by two chemos. She's also still on the antibiotics.
  7. During my meeting I got constant updates from Marion on progress. The bone marrow went well. Then Kay got the chemo as well. It was decided that she could go back to Eindhoven, transport booked for 5.30pm. Then Kay threw up from the anasthetic, including her NG tube. Whoopee.
  8. Then at around 5pm Marion calls to say that Kay had developed an allergic reaction to the second chemo and it was likely that she would have to stay in Nijmegen. Their stuff is in Marion's car in Eindhoven, so I start making plans to drive to Eindhoven, pick up her stuff, drive to Njimegen, drop it off and drive home. But I conclude that I'm just too tired to spend 3 hours running around, so start thinking which of our friends I can call for help.
  9. But about 6.45pm Marion SMS's to say that they are in the Ambulance on the way back to Eindhoven. I'm thankful that I don't have to ruin anyone else's evening.
  10. Next call from Marion, she has arrived back in Eindhoven but the hospital resturant is closed so she has to go out to the AH (supermarket) in a hurry to get some food for her and Kay.
As of the last call Kay will remain in hospital tomorrow, so I shall be up early to take my turn. Kay has already given me a list of things that she wants, including a Hary Potter DVD, the rest of Series 6 of 24, which we started watching yesterday evening and a bunch of other stuff. No knowing when she will be coming home again.

Marion is completely physically & emotionally exhausted. This time she had the pleasure of talking Kay into sleep in the operating room, which I can tell you is an experience I'd go a long way to avoid. Plus all the rest.



Marion sent me this photo earlier: Kay recovering from the anasthetic late this afternoon.

I really hope that we can stabilize this situation in the near future. It's really quite hard not to know what we will be doing in the next 6 hours, never mind the next 24.

1 comment:

  1. Dearest Kay,

    Poor you! It sounds like you have had a pretty hellish couple of days. I hope the rest of this week starts to improve a bit for you and that you start to feel a bit more comfortable. Your parents tell us how brave you are and how well you are coping with the treatment, which I am sure is true.

    With love, Philippa, Brett and Luke xxx

    ReplyDelete