Thursday 16 September 2010

The Pilot's Analogy

The best way to describe where we are tonight is by an analogy. I’ve thought that Kay’s condition is something like an aircraft in a steep dive. The pilots are putting all the force that they dare on the controls, hoping to pull the aircraft out of the dive without breaking anything, before it hits the trees. During the last days the pilots have been warning the passengers to brace themselves for collision (head between your knees, kiss your ass goodbye) because their best estimate was that the plane was going in. But by pulling every trick in the book, this evening it seems that the pilots have pulled the aircraft of out the dive.

However, this doesn’t mean the problems are over. The aircraft is now hurtling along at tree top height and has possibly been severely damaged by the huge forces that were applied to its control surfaces. There only needs one oversized tree in the way or a structural failure or even just rising ground for disaster to strike.

But by continuing to apply careful control inputs and looking out for big trees the pilots are hoping to get the nose of the aircraft to rise, very slowly. There's nothing they can do about rising ground, that's just going to be good luck. Unfortunately the aircraft is travelling very, very fast and care has to be taken not to overload the structure while trying to pull the nose up. Equally trees are flashing by on either side very quickly.

So this is not a moment to stop sweating, nor is it a moment for reflection or satisfaction. It’s a moment for looking out for what comes next and trying to return the aircraft to a safe and stable state.

The passengers have had another horrible, nightmarish day, but they are hoping that by willing the pilots on and willing the aircraft to keep flying they can contribute to the recovery. In the meantime they are planning to have a drink and some trolley snacks and try to sleep, without looking out the window at the trees flashing past.


7 comments:

  1. She is a tough little cookie your daughter. Like her Mum & Dad! Here's to a trouble free flight over night. Everyone is willing the pilot to have a steady hand with his precious cargo.
    Sharon x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our thoughts and prayers are with you all each day - keep fighting Kay x x

    Lots of Love

    Your (2nd I think!!! )Cousin Helen also Uncle Richard, Dave, Lynne and boys x x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ik wens jullie een rustige nacht. Hoop dat jullie wat kunnen slapen. lfs B

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amazing! Very clever writing! I suspect you and Marion have been hanging onto the wings of that plane. But thank God, you're back inside and can rest while not looking out.
    Here's hoping you do have a restful night and that you wake feeling refreshed and positive for Kay again tomorrow.
    Still willing you all on. COME ON KAY - you are brilliant!!!
    With love and hugs
    Linda and Em xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok Gorgeous One, it's the night shift here! A lovely peaceful day in Sydney. And, Daddies friend arrives today!

    So we are back on to the Longest Spreadsheet in the world today. So I'll be with you as I type, type, type ... And while we breath together through this night.

    Stay with me Kay, like daddy said, we'll fly through this night together dodging the trees. And, darling I know how to prevent a spin, I think it was my first lesson in flight.

    Chat in a little while. Lots of love, Aunty Alison xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Rob, Dominic just called me and asked me to write you a note as he is blocked from comment at work. He said that you summed it all up perfectly and what you've written is the perfect definition of hope.

    He sends you all his love.

    Hugs, Ali xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Kay, just taking a lunch break,now onto the worlds most dull word document!

    So darling not too long Holland is awake. But while it's just you and me, I thought I'd share my thoughts of the day. There is a point to them I promise!

    Anyway I have been seeing an acupuncturist, because lots of people told me acupuncturists can help you make babies! "oh Aunty Alison, too much information"... But there is a point to this ...a point indeed!!!! So firstly I learnt something new, that acupuncturists can apparently make babies, which is not what it said in my school books! Secondly, I am learning how brilliantly clever our bodies are in ways we just don't understand. There's magic there! I think you are drawing on yours and there's more to find. Yes, you are wired up to all those 'machines which go ping' and there's clever doctors doing their very best, but I'm telling you, there's still something you can do yourself, tap into that magic Kay. I will go and get some more pins stuck in me tonight, and I'll be thinking about that magic running through you.

    Well there you go, your old Aunty embarrasing you. But, hey isn't it great to know that boys don't make babies after all!

    An odd post ...I know!

    Well, shall we go back to my word doc and concentrate on our breathing again, darling? Ok, let's do it. In and out, from the ribs, together. ..

    ReplyDelete